Monday, September 14, 2015

Review: Echo

Echo Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is beautiful. It's beautiful in appearance and beautiful writing. I loved this one so much. It's intimidating in size and historical fiction, which is generally appealing to me, but not necessarily the general public. However, they should all pick this one up! It's the story of four people: Otto, Friedrich, Michael, and Ivy. Their stories end up connected by a harmonica and a love of music, eventually ending with most of the characters meeting. There's also a fairy tale aspect with three sisters interacting with Otto. Each story is heartbreaking. Friedrich is in Germany while the Nazi party is rising in power. Michael is an orphan trying to stay with his brother and find a family. Ivy is trying to deal with her brother being away in WWII and also being segregated from the local school due to her race.

This was a book I had a hard time putting down, and also a book that made me want to pick up my instrument and play again (or get a ukelele, or get a harmonica.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...