Friday, September 18, 2015

Review: The Bamboo Sword

The Bamboo Sword The Bamboo Sword by Margi Preus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was, for me, a welcome return to form for Preus. I very much enjoyed Heart of a Samurai and her other historical fiction work. This is a companion to that named title, although it is not necessary to have read that book to enjoy this one. You learn about Yoshi, a boy who wants to be a samurai, and Jack, a ship's boy from America, as the countries meet for the first time to talk about ending Japan's isolation. I loved reading each boy's perspective, and I think it's an excellent title to remind ourselves that different people aren't really that different from us. I also really enjoyed the author's note and bibliography.

I received an advanced reader's copy for free from the publisher in return for a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...