Thursday, August 6, 2015

Review: School for Sidekicks

School for Sidekicks School for Sidekicks by Kelly McCullough
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I found this one to be very slow starting, to the point where I almost gave up on it. However, once some weird things started happening to Evan Quick, I began getting into the story. With the introduction of Foxman, I was much more interested.

Two things I especially liked about this story: the view of a recovering alcoholic with Foxman, and the fact that the issue of consent is addressed, even with something as innocent seeming as a kiss. It doesn't turn out to be a big deal, but the kiss-ee stands up for their own bodily autonomy and the kisser realizes that it's not cool to do that. Amazing to see that in any novel, but especially a middle grade.

I received my copy as a galley from NetGalley in return for my honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...