Thursday, August 20, 2015

Review: The Great Good Summer

The Great Good Summer The Great Good Summer by Liz Garton Scanlon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For some reason, I kept expecting this book to come down very hard on religion, but it didn't. I thought religion and science were presented as being able to coexist well in this book.

Ivy's mother is devastated when fires sweep across Texas, burning down the church where Ivy's grandfather preached. She finds a preacher that speaks to her and she runs off with him, leaving her family behind. Eventually Ivy and her new friend, Paul, decide to go off to find her.

I really liked this story. Some of the plot elements seemed a little too tame, but I think that's okay. Sometimes things happen and they aren't as horrible as you thought they might be. Or maybe you just don't need to know it yet.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...