Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Review: The Jumbies

The Jumbies The Jumbies by Tracey Baptiste
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Oooh I loved this one! Corinne lives on an island with her father, hearing the stories about jumbies but not believing them. She follows an agouti in the forest one day, and senses something but can't see it. The jumbies are real...and they found her.

I was especially a fan of the alternating perspectives in this story. It's not always a device I enjoy, but I think it worked well here. I also appreciated learning more about what kinds of stories are native to the Caribbean, and enjoyed this fairy tale based on one.

It will pair well with Little Man for you Maine Student Book Award readers.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...