Sunday, October 18, 2015

Review: X: A Novel

X: A Novel X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is an examination of Malcolm X's life, focusing mostly on late adolescence/young adulthood. It jumps back and forth in time, and his life slowly unfolds in front of you. I was not someone who knew a lot about Malcolm X, and this book, written by his third daughter, has definitely inspired me to learn more. I was intrigued by how this hustler would turn into the leader I think of him as. This book didn't do quite as well as I would have hoped in that regard. His prison transformation is glossed over at the end. I wish there had been maybe...five more pages further explaining why Honorable Elijah Muhammad and the Nation of Islam appealed to this man so much. Still, it's a worthy addition to the National Book Award list.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...