Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Storytime: Winter Solstice and Christmas

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to blog more often about my storytimes. This is a professional one for me, and I also think it will be helpful for any of my patrons if they ever find or know about this blog.

So here goes:

Winter Solstice/Christmas storytime: All ages

Opening Song: "Can't Wait to Celebrate" from Jim Gill's Irrational Anthem



First Book: The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Wendy Pfeffer


(I read selections from this book. It's too long for the group that I have.)


Second song: "Jingle Bells" from Laurie Berkner's holiday album (complete with jingle bells for the kids to play with, which they kept through the next three items.)



Second Book: Christmas Parade  by Sandra Boynton


Third Song: "Jingle Bell Rock" from the Kidz Bop! Christmas album

Third Book: Hurry Up, Santa! by Megan Durand

Fourth Song: "Reindeer Pokey" (put your hooves/antlers/tail/red nose in)

Fourth Book: The Little Lost Reindeer by Gail Herman

Craft: Ornament kits (snowman, penguin, polar bear). The children could choose to make them as ornaments or glue them to paper and create a winter scene. I had a little of everything going on.

Overall, this story time went over well. The jingle bells were a big hit. I'm glad I cut the solstice book short, because it was definitely hard for my two three year olds to sit through. That's the hard part about the all ages storytime--if you have a mix of three year olds and six year olds, it's a delicate balance. I was pleased with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...