Friday, December 18, 2015

Review: Child Soldier: When Boys and Girls Are Used in War

Child Soldier: When Boys and Girls Are Used in War Child Soldier: When Boys and Girls Are Used in War by Michel Chikwanine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A powerful graphic novel about one person's experience being a child soldier. One day Michel stays too late at school and is kidnapped into the army. He is given cocaine, and forced to do a horrible deed almost right from the start. He eventually finds the strength to escape, and to forgive himself for what happened at that time. The back matter discusses the problems survivors face when trying to go back to their own community.

I would say it's definitely appropriate for 4th-5th graders, as most violence happens off-page.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...