Saturday, October 8, 2016

Review: And I Darken

And I Darken And I Darken by Kiersten White
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Normally when a book takes me five days to read (in a time of MSBA reading) I don't rate it highly. I have a lot of books to get through! I loved this one though. This is a genderbent tale of Vlad the Impaler, which was interesting enough to grab me. Lada learns early on that being a woman will only get you ignored and thus she swears off all men and acting feminine. The story is told partly through her perspective and partly through her younger brother, Rada's, perspective. He is soft-hearted, which drives Lada nuts, yet she loves him. The two are shipped off from their native land of Wallachia to the Ottoman Empire in exchange for peace. What follows is a complicated story of love, betrayal, battle tactics and gender roles. I really enjoyed it, and I'm intrigued to see where the story goes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...