Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Review: One Half from the East

One Half from the East One Half from the East by Nadia Hashimi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book about one girl's experience as a bascha posh in Afghanistan. Obayda's father loses a leg while on a trip to a pharmacy with her to get her medicine. It results in them moving from Kabul to a more rural part of the country, one where a warlord watches everything. To increase their luck, Obayda's aunt suggests that they turn her into a bascha posh or a boy. During that time, Obayda discovers new freedoms and makes a new friend. What will happen when they want to change her back?

I thought the book got a little explain-y at times. Characters would talk about facts in a way that I'm not sure a real conversation would flow. Otherwise, for an initial look at gender differences and this specific aspect of Afghan culture, it is an excellent start.

Thank you, Rockland Public Library, for loaning me this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...