Saturday, September 24, 2011

Keep on truckin'

I think my research is going to end up being a flexible study.  I want to look at whether or not adding baby sign language is beneficial to my library community.  The best way I can think about doing this is a year-long study of the babies that come to the library storytime, teaching a few simple signs and watching the effects over time.  I wonder if this study would be incredibly flawed, because it would be greatly affected by whether or not and how much parents practice sign language with their children at home.  Also, some of these children might come to library programs already knowing sign language.  I might broaden my topic to be about whether or not sign language is beneficial in story times in general.  There is definitely more research on this topic.  I've been looking over a book called "Dancing With Words: Signing for Hearing Children's Literacy" and I'm really liking it so far.

So maybe I will do that: a multi-year study looking at the effects of children who learn sign language at an early age through story time and their literacy skills.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the issues that you raise are ones that can be accommodated in your design. For example, you could either inquire or incorporate some measurement of existing signing ability at the beginning of the study.

    You don't need to propose a multi-year study on my account. Try to make what you propose simple to test the water with one outcome being options for next steps.

    ReplyDelete

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...