Saturday, September 3, 2011

First post

So I feel a little behind on posting my research blog, even though I know that it's okay to progress through this at my own pace.  I just seem to be having a hard time getting into the back-to-school mode, even though this is week 3 of the course.  I suppose it's because I was also on vacation from work during the first week, which while wonderful, definitely made starting school difficult.  Oh well, I see myself starting to slowly slide back into school mode for what will hopefully be the last semester of my MLIS degree.  I am also taking SLIS704, the Intro to Management class, if anyone wants to talk about that course as well.

I had two topics originally in mind for research, either something with research therapy dogs or something having to do with storytimes for babies and early literacy. I have decided to definitely go in the directon of storytimes for babies, since that is my weekly 'duty' at the library I work at.  I don't consider it much of a duty actually, since I really enjoy working with babies.  Now I have to decide if I want to do something about baby sign language, which I often consider adding to my story times but find it difficult to do as I am not familiar with sign language myself, or something about how going to story time increases literacy skills.  Either way, I see this research proposal as helping me get better at something I already love to do, but sometimes have difficulty explaining all the justifications of why you should bring your baby to the library for a story time.

1 comment:

  1. Both of your ideas are great! The babies storytime one seems to be your preferred one. You don't have to focus on sign language. You might focus on assessing the impact of these storytimes from the point of view of the parent?

    ReplyDelete

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...