Friday, December 7, 2012

Week 9 Learning Express

I am skipping week 8 for the moment, which is Ancestry.com.  Since you have to be in your local library for that to work, and I am home sick with multiple infections and bronchitis, I think everyone will be happier with that solution.  So obviously, while one is home sick, catching up on Marvelous Maine is the best option.  So here it is:  LearningExpress.  I think this is a great resource.  I haven't recommended it to many patrons yet, since I don't have a lot of patrons coming in asking questions that these resources would speak to yet.  However, I can see myself using some of them.  There are programs that I would like to learn how to use better, like Microsoft Access.  Also, I have always wanted to take the U.S. Citizenship Test, to see if I would pass.  I am pretty sure I would not.  I mean, who doesn't take a Citizenship Test when sick?  I was reading the Youth Literature National Book Award nominees, but I got a little depressed (the Killing Fields of Cambodia, conflict in Democratic Republic of the Congo, now I'm reading about a race to build and steal the atomic bomb.  Good thing I had Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel to shake things up a bit.)

So I thought the US Citizenship Test would be one of those scored tests, and it wasn't, but I took it anyway.  I think I could become a citizen, which encouraged me.  I didn't get a perfect score (Phooey!) but I feel pretty confident that I could become a citizen if I had to take the test tomorrow.  So to look at the testing aspect like I was supposed to, I'm going to take a 4th grade Algebra exam.  Mix it up a little.  I got 14/15 right.  The test was pretty easy, but I wish the answers were all available on one page.  I think the one I got wrong was at the end, and I didn't want to have to scroll through all my right answers to get to that one.

For a job search course, I looked at one about writing cover letters, one of my least favorite parts of the job search process.  It seemed pretty straight forward.  I liked that they showed a layout of a sample cover letter and I like that they walk you through making a cover letter on your own.  I think that I would use it in my next search for a job.

Originally I wanted to look for a book about Microsoft Excel, which, other than Access, is my least favorite Microsoft Office program, but they only had ecourses.  So I looked at an ebook on Green Careers instead.  I flipped through it quickly.  I liked it.  I would definitely move it to my e-reader though.  It is 254 pages long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...