Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Week 8: Ancestry Library Edition

Did anyone else encounter that the first Ancestry tutorial on the MSL page had no audio?  I found that a little weird, and got distracted wondering what was supposed to be going on, or was I supposed to just be staring at the screen?  Strange.

I wasn't expecting to find too much information about myself in Ancestry.  After all, I've never been married.  Sure enough, I don't seem to exist at all.  I'm not sure whether or not I should be disappointed by this.  I can't find my birth certificate no matter how specific I get.  Oh well.  I was able to find my grandmother in the census results, but it took some finessing.  I had to use her maiden name rather than her married name.  Funnily enough, my grandmother was still not a US citizen in 1935, which I never knew.

The photos and maps search for Maine I found to be not particularly useful.  I noticed that there were a lot of other images that came up, rather than historical images of Maine.  If I were using it for a project, I would try to get more specific and look for specific cities to try to narrow down the search.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...