Monday, October 22, 2012

Hobbies and Craft Center

I am not a crafter by nature.  I was born into a family of crafters, but the urge has not yet taken hold in me.  I did, however, see a post about 43 ways to add glitter to objects in your life and THAT intrigued me.  Especially because there was one about covering a concrete floor with glitter, and there's a concrete floor in our new library.  I am tempted to see if I can make that happen.

Anyway, so another tutorial.  I know I'm writing multiple posts on the same day, but really: are these something that we'll see more of later?  I can think of patrons who could use these but I'm not sure where they are housed.  I did think it was a pretty good overview.

The first thing I notice about the Hobbies and Crafts database is the highlighted seasonal kids' craft section in the lower right.  That excites me, because as a children's librarian, I often need to do crafts, but I must admit they can stress me out too (will my craft be too complicated?  Will it be perfect? etc.)  I'm definitely bookmarking this part, since I haven't finalized my Halloween ideas yet. So I spent a long time looking at this part.

I didn't really think I would participate in anything that would be included in this blog (reading isn't on the list) but I do like to dance.  I was surprised to find that as a category.  My library does not subscribe to any of the magazines listed in the find box.  In fact, I have never heard of any of them.  I could see the knitting club being really interested in the knitting section.  As for the Projects section of the results, the only project listed was "The Joy of Foxtrot."  It claims the article was from 2004, but the images in the article looked like they were older than that.  I have to be honest and say that the foxtrot is not necessarily at the top of my list of dances to learn.

I wondered what the difference between the "Save" feature and the "Add to Folder" feature were, so I looked at the online help feature.  I don't think there is a huge difference.  It does look like with the save feature you can choose the length of time to save it for.  The folder feature also stretches across databases, because I found articles in my folder that I got from other resources (unless the Hobbies and Crafts database has articles about caring for an aging parent).  My default would be to go to the Folder search, since I feel like that one will last.  Of course, with that, you need to remember your log-in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...