Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Dinosaur Story Time

So clearly, I'm doing a great job at blogging this year. Most of my posts are linked from Goodreads. Well, here I go starting again.  Here's my thoughts about last week's story time, which was about dinosaurs. This disappointed a few children, as they expected me to talk about groundhogs. I had to explain to them that groundhogs weren't really going to work for our story time, in which I have a majority of 2-3 year olds.

I used the basic outline of the storytime for Take Your Child to the Library Day. I made the dinosaur feet and encouraged kids to put them on (few of them did.) I guess they found them to be troublesome, or just weren't in the mood. I was happy wearing them!

I read the four books mentioned in the outline

  • Dinosaurumpus by Tony Mitton
  • Dinosaur Roar! by Paul and Henrietta Strickland
  • Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp by Carol Diggory Shields
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen
Overall, these were good choices, although Dinosaur Roar! and How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? were the most popular. Yolen's book led to a long discussion about goodnight kisses, and which ones were okay and which ones weren't.

We did the "If You're a Dinosaur" song mentioned in the outline, and we also did "We Are the Dinosaurs" by the Laurie Berkner Band and "The Dinosaurs are Coming" by Mr. Harley. The kids liked marching around. 

Our craft was an allosaurus hand puppet which I found premade in the back of the library in my supply closet. It was created before I got here, so I don't have a credit for it. Some children made their dinosaurs as scary as they could, while others just really enjoyed the gluing. Overall, I would say this is one of my more successful story times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...