Thursday, November 8, 2012

NoveList

The first thing I notice (because I'm being a bit anal and clicking every link) is that the link for the tutorials doesn't bring me to the NoveList tutorials, but to the Mariner UMS Campus website.  This seems off to me, since I'm currently sitting in a library.  If I was at home and got that message, I would assume it was because I needed to log-in with my account to get access to MARVEL.  Oh well.  I mean, I can find them myself, right?  I can find "Help" in a toolbar.  I'm a librarian.  

I just found out that it connects to GoodReads.  I never knew that!  I'm more of a GoodReads girl than a LibraryThing user (this is from when I was more interested in price than buying locally.)  If I spend too much time on this, though, I'm going to want to get Koha hooked up into all these things to see if people will leave reviews.  I also want to make sure I know what the wildcard (? or #) and truncation (*) symbols are, since I use those a lot.

For my series, I decide to look up "The Last Apprentice" by Joseph Delaney.  It was simply the first series that popped into my head.  I've never read it.  Apparently the series is actually called "Wardstone Chronicles" as well.  I used the different view functions, especially the ones that show the cover.  I mean, then you can find that book with the blue cover you've always been looking for!

Also, now that I have reached step two, I have to switch versions of NoveList because I didn't read ahead to see that we would have to use authors whose books are aimed at an adult audience.  Always the assumptions with adults on these things.

Anyway, back to David Baldacci (and I suppose I really could have been a rebel and done the same process with any children's author.)  I think this would be a good idea for some of the more popular authors.  I mean, perhaps you could get the Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Percy Jackson fans hooked on something else.  Oooooh or those Warrior books.  C'mon kids!  Life beyond Erin Hunter I swear! (And yet, I hear my 9 year old self saying that there is nothing better than the Baby-sitter's Club. Oh honey.)

I think I could this a lot when it comes to making displays or reader's advisory with patrons.  Since we aren't on MaineCat, that won't help my library a lot.  Maybe I didn't play around with it enough at this moment in time, but I didn't really notice any way that I would use to enhance my collection. I will have to noodle on it some more.

1 comment:

  1. No shame - the Babysitters Club books were the bomb. happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...