Friday, January 28, 2022

Review: The Orphan Band of Springdale

The Orphan Band of Springdale The Orphan Band of Springdale by Anne Nesbet
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't love this quite as much as Cloud and Wallfish, but I really loved that book. It would have taken a lot to come close.

Gusta has been sent to live with her grandmother in rural Maine while her father is on the run and her mother works to earn enough money to maybe take her back. Her father is German but also a union organizer, two things that aren't great to be in the early 1940s. Gusta learns a lot about herself, her family and life in this coming of age tale.

The Maine setting felt true to me, which is fantastic to find in a book. Sometimes books get Maine wrong, and as a native, I am very picky. I also grew up about 40 minutes from where this book is set, which is a fun connection. I also loved how vivid Nesbet made the other characters. The dairy wars were one of my favorite parts. I also appreciated Gusta getting glasses, and what that was like.

Readers will love learning about Gusta and Maine in the early days of WWII.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...