Saturday, November 4, 2017

Review: Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers

Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by Deborah Heiligman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Deb Heiligman wrote another winner, folks. (And I know I'm not alone in saying this, as the Horn Book has recognized this book already as being worthy of an award.) This paired very well with my viewing of "Loving Vincent," the oil-painted animation film that came out this year. It was interesting to see the two different perspectives on the life and death of Vincent Van Gogh, and his brother Theo. Heiligman has written a work that feels like a painting. It changes as time goes by, it's flexible about it's format, and it's written in gallery stages. At first, I wasn't sure what to think about this, and it grew on me. Noticing formatting of a book isn't something I normally spend a lot of time on, but this was worth examining. Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Multicultural Children's Book Day: Mystery of the Troubled Toucan

 Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted a review, hmm? I thought my Goodreads reviews had been cross-posted here all this tim...